Friday, October 05, 2012

Daughters in My Kingdom Study Guide

Here is something we used in our Relief Society to deepen our study of the wonderful book, Daughters in My Kingdom. I am putting it on my blog because I looked all over the internet and, at least while I was trying, I couldn't find a study guide. Feel free to link to it, print it out and copy it as much as you would like.
                                               ***UPDATE***
I was contacted (see the comments) by Sandra López from Mujer Mormona and she has translated the guide I wrote into Spanish and posted it here. I think that is so nifty :) Thanks, Sister Lopez!

To put these together, I printed the first seven pages of the document, then flipped them over, reinserted them in my printer face up, and printed the next seven pages. Then I was able to fold them into a booklet and the pages were in order. You may have to do a little trial and error, in case your printer does things differently than mine.

Then, I had them copied at a print shop, where they even folded them for me, which was nice. I also could have had them stapled, but instead I conscripted a couple of my kids and we sewed them all with baker's twine using a pamphlet stitch, which I thought was much nicer than scratchy metal staples.


If you are going to stitch them, I'd recommend five hole pamphlet stitch because of the size. Jeannine Stein has a nice tutorial for the stitch. Scroll down for the five hole instructions.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, Thanks for putting this study guide together. I would like to ask you permission to translate it to spanish and post it in my website http://mujermormona.wordpress.com (my website is to provide resources in Spanish for lds women) Please let me know if I can do that. Thanks for your time, Sandra Lopez

AES said...

You bet - thanks for asking!

Karen Dallin said...

I can't figure out where to locate the download for The Daughters in My Kingdom Study Guide. Silly me. Could you let me know how to find it?

AES said...

Hi Karen,

The word "Here" at the beginning of the post is a link to the document. Thanks for asking. I'd love hear if you end up using it and how you like it.

Warmly,

Amy

Juan Pablo said...

Thank you so much, both Amy and Sis. Lopez, for this wonderful resource. We are going to use it in our ward to encourage the study of this beautiful book.
Sister Eliana Cortez
Relief Society President
Alto Alberdi Ward - Córdoba
ARGENTINA

AES said...

You're welcome! I'm so glad you could use it :)

Mommy Lou said...

I know this is an old post.. I am having a hard time getting the pages to line up accurately. Are you saying that page 8 should be on the back of page 1, page 9 on back of 2, etc. etc.? Any help/advice you have would be extremely helpful! THANK YOU!

AES said...

Hi Mommy Lou,

I can see how the instructions could be confusing (!) because I refer to "pages" in the instructions, meaning the pages of the document, rather than of the finished book. When I said print pages 1-7, I meant of the document, but that includes pages 2, 27, 4, 25, 6, 23, 8, 21, 10, 19, 12, 17, 14 and 15 of the book.

Each page of the document will actually be one side of a folio (the whole 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper you print on) of the final book, with two leaves (the two halves of the 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, after you fold it). Once you print the folio with two pages of the document, one on each side of the paper and fold it in half, it will make four pages of the final book.

To try to answer your question, no, 8 should not be on the back of 1 nor 9 on the back of 2. Once it is printed, folded and stitched, it should start with page (meaning book pages, not document pages) 1 (which isn't numbered, but is the title page) with page 2 on the back of it, then page 3 with page 4 on the back of it and so on.

Does that help, or make it more confusing? Feel free to email me your phone number at blogipher (at) gmail (dot) come and I'd be happy to give you a call and see if I can explain verbally better than I can using the written word :)

Family and Arts said...

Hi Amy,
Thank you very much for sharing! I saw that your guide is already translated in Spanish, and I'd like your permission to translate it in French.I'm a Stake Relief Society President and I'd like to share it in my Blog (that I tried to make in Spanish and French: www. familyandarts.com) and with the sisters in my Stake. Let me know if it's OK for you.
Thanks again!
Ignaly

Family and Arts said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for sharing! I'd like your permission to translate this guide in French. I'm a Stake Relief Society President and I'd like to share it in my blog (www.familyandarts.com) and with the sister in my stake. Let me know if I can do it. Thanks again!

AES said...

Hi Family and Arts,

That would be wonderful! Thank you for asking permission. I emailed you some other details. Please provide a link so others can find your translation, if you don't mind :)