Sunday, March 09, 2014

I really miss this blog.


So, while Kelly and her sisters made dinner, I emptied the camera and curated, just for you, an exhibit of our lives from the last few weeks. 

Naomi had a birthday.


Michael raced in the pinewood derby. He came in 2nd for his age group and 3rd overall.


After all these years of taking kids on their turn for the homeschooling whale watching trip, I took my last two kids. It is hard to believe how everyone is growing up. This past week was Michael and Naomi's turn. It was a great trip. 

We saw a great blue heron looking for lunch...


...and lots of cormorants with a few pelicans mixed in...


...California sea lions lounging around...


...and from my view on the upper deck, a couple of cute kids.


Of course, what we were all most excited about was the opportunity to see some cetaceans!

The captain was able to find a bottlenose dolphin willing to surf the waves in front of the boat and we got a close up view. I learned something new on this trip. Bottlenose dolphin mothers name their offspring with a unique whistle that the dolphins then introduce themselves to other dolphins with for the rest of their lives.


We also saw more whales (all gray whales) on this trip than any other - seven in all! It was amazing :)

Here are two swimming together...


...and the tail of one diving.


The kids had some ocean science instruction on the trip back.


On to other exciting news - Naomi let her Dad pull a tooth.


Finally, some pretty pictures. I took the plunge and, in spite of my black thumb, bought some new house plants. I plan on hanging them in the window when I get around to it, but until then, they have a home on the kitchen counter. They are tillandsias, or air plants and they don't need dirt. I just soak them in a bowl of water every few days. Fun, huh?


I think they are really nifty...


...and was especially thrilled when one bloomed!




2 comments:

Christine said...

Glad to see you back, and loved the updates :)

AES said...

Oh, thanks! I love reading about your family's adventures. too.