Wednesday, August 30, 2006

All In a Day's Work

Kelly came to me the other day and told me her ear hurt. I told her to go lie down and tell me if it still hurt after a while (my stock reply to pain complaints).

In a few minutes she came and told me there was a bead in her ear. Never mind how she said it got there, after probing, she admitted she'd put it there herself.

Not wanting to spend 2 1/2 hours in urgent care, I decided to get it out myself. I tried a fingernail file, but the bead was a perfect fit for her ear canal and I didn't want to push it in farther.

I needed something sticky, so I pulled out some gum and started chewing. I stuck the gum on the end of a toothpick and tried to extract the little pink bead from her cute little ear. No luck.

But! The toothpick gave me an idea. I could see the hole in the bead and it was just larger than the end of my toothpick. I was able to poke the toothpick into the bead hole and get some leverage on the thing. Success at last! Who says staying home with kids doesn't take advanced skills?

No comments: