Sunday, September 03, 2006

Service Personnel Nightmare #1

I'm always driving cashiers crazy, asking to pay for $10 with my debit card, 52 cents in small change and the rest with a gift card. I'm never trying to be mean, just following my obsessive compulsive tendencies. I told Stan about my latest, and he told me he'd clean up after dinner without me if I put it on the blog. Who'd miss a chance like that?

Thursday, I drove a friend to another city to sign the lease on her apartment. She is starting college as a freshman on Tuesday. I was happy to be of help, but a bit nervous about making it back in time to pick Summer and Rachel up from school. After she did the paperwork and got the keys, we headed home, stopping at a Burger King before we got on the freeway. The drive-through line was long, so we decided to go inside to save time. It was a hot day and being thirsty, I ordered chocolate milk with my Whopper and was really looking forward to it. The drive-through would have been quicker than going in, but oh well (Murphy's Law). We rushed out to the car, buckled the kids in and zipped to the parking lot exit before we realized there was NO CHOCOLATE MILK in the bag! I considered going back, but there was already a car behind us, no room to turn around and the clock was ticking.

Well, I held onto my receipt, because somehow, someday I was going to get that milk. My chance came yesterday while Summer, Rachel and I were out running errands in 100+ degree heat. Rachel said, "Can we stop somewhere and get some ice water? I saw a Burger King and I saw my chance, so I whipped into the parking lot and told the girls, "We're going in." I took my receipt and went up to the employee that looked like he had the most authority and explained the situation. He looked doubtful and asked, "Another store?" I answered in the affirmative and tried to look both hopeful and slightly assertive (I wanted my milk!). He relented and said, "I guess I can do it this once." Then he waited expectantly for me to order something, but I just smiled and he trudged over to the fridge and got me MY MILK. Success! I did refrain from asking for some free ice water, so Rachel, Summer and I only got a swallow each. It didn't really quench anyone's thirst, but I had closure.

No comments: