Sunday, January 25, 2009

Goodbye to our lovely station wagon!!!

We will be getting a new-to-us car, well minivan, next week. I have mixed feelings about it. At 212,000 miles the wagon and is getting up there, but I sure love that car. I think I have loved it almost to death. On the other hand, our brother-in-law Jeff got us a great van at a really good price. I took one for a test drive at a local dealership and really liked it.

I'm not the only one with complex feelings. The kids had quite the variety of reactions.

Summer was very excited to be picked up from high school in anything but an old station wagon with flames on the side. I don't understand why. The wagon is cool. Oh well, you can't account for taste :)

Rachel had fun looking through the brochure and picking out features and colors.

Heather is looking forward to plusher seats than the wagon has, but wishes we could have gotten the green one (there wasn't one available with seating for eight and I couldn't figure out who to leave behind!).

Gwen was really upset. She likes how she can tell it is our vehicle from all the way down the block and now we will have a silver minivan, which is a bit more common than a station wagon with flames on it. She doesn't like change and told me getting a new vehicle was going to ruin her life and then added, "It is already ruining my life just thinking about it."

Kelly was happy about the change because, as she pointed out, "I don't like our old car and I want a new one." She also came up with a way to solve Gwen's problem. Kelly suggested we put a big shark fin on top of the new car because it reminds her of a shark.

Michael said he is excited, but that he doesn't know why.

Naomi has no idea how her life is going to be impacted when we instate
the "no eating in the new car rule" - poor kid.


6 comments:

Marcia said...

I'm excited for you all! Congrats!

Emily said...

Wow a new car! so jealous...we are trying to sell ours right now

Jenny said...

I grew up with a station wagon too. Although I was probably embarrassed to drive around in it most of the time, I still have very fond memories in that car. Your kids reactions are too funny.

Unknown said...

I am a lot like Gwen. Cars, houses,...become like people...comfortable...and then once I get used to a new thing ie. car...it becomes my new best friend and it eases the pain of saying goodbye to the old one :)

42snazoo said...

I completely agree with Kelly's suggestion!!! I love the idea of "fin"ning the new car!

There go's the Craigs again... said...

wow, are you going to keep the old license plate. Amy, you will love the minivan! I'm sure you will take some good pictures of the classic. Fun.