Friday, January 30, 2009

My kids think I am crazy!

Jeff delivered our minivan a couple of days ago. The evening before he came was a church function that I had a lot to do with, so it had consumed my time, thoughts and energy the day before he came. Nine people living in a house takes time, thought and energy, too, but the house didn't get any of mine for a couple of days, so it was a disaster - really. Dishes from maybe three meals, at least six loads of laundry in the living room waiting to be put away ( at least it was clean and most of it folded by Heather and Gwen). Anyway, you get the idea.

And this brings me to why my kids (not for the first time, either) thought I was crazy - I didn't want to drive it until the house was clean! Kind of like not wanting to take pictures until I read that camera manual! I tried to explain that the house being so messy was bugging me so much that it was making me nervous and I didn't want to drive a vehicle that I was unfamiliar with while I was nervous. They just rolled their eyes (a couple of them are getting pretty good at that).

So yesterday, Rachel set up Michael's new carseat and she and I cleaned Naomi's old one. Then, AFTER the kitchen was clean, I installed them both and we were ready to go. While I was trying to figure out how to move one of the seats in the van, I found an ancient Cheeto that had drifted down to the depths of the seat's inner workings. Now, I have to say the vehicle was really clean. It even has that "new car smell," which I have really been enjoying. It would have taken a manic, infant-car-seat-installing crazy woman to find that Cheeto and I guess I was the first one of those near the car since the Cheeto was dropped. Either that or the last person to notice it tried to get it out and gave up.


Not me!

It took a wad of gum, a chopstick and countless tries, but I got it out.


This morning, carseat-installed and Cheeto-free, we took off. I am feeling a bit disloyal to the station wagon that has been such a great car for us, but I am not looking back. I love this van:) Thanks Jeff!



4 comments:

Alyssa McVey said...

Aren't minivans fun? I LOVE ours. I always thought I'd hate having one, but when we got ours from Uncle Jeff I've really been enjoying it. Mine's silver, what color is yours?

AES said...

It is silver, too. Maybe we will get them mixed up at the family reunion :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, we also have a silver minivan, like everyone else it seems! We really also need a no food rule, maybe someday!

AES said...

We'll see how long ours lasts! Michael was already bugging me to take a snack in the car today - popcorn no less :)