Sunday, October 04, 2009

Stuff

Rachel convinced Naomi to let her curl her a hair a couple of weeks ago for church. Too bad I didn't get an after picture...


It is nice for Michael and Naomi to have a reader at home with them during the day, especially right after we get home from the library with a new stack of unread treasures.


A few people have asked me what I am doing about my toes since I broke my back and the answer is nothing. They are going unadorned. With brace on, I can't really reach to shave my legs very well, much less paint my toes. One of the girls shaved my legs for me once (she's still traumatized by having to put shaving cream on them and won't do it again) and Stan has a couple of times, but mostly, I am going around as the wild woman of Borneo.

I have to admit, I can't get that worked up about it. On the other hand, I was very excited when I saw a doctor five weeks after the accident and was able to take the neck part of my brace off. Then, I saw another doctor a little over three weeks ago and he told me I could stop sleeping with the brace on. It has been so lovely to sleep without it!

I am slowly feeling less pain, but not nearly as quickly as I would like. This whole experience is a lesson in patience :)

Anyway, back to my toes. Stan has been keeping my feet in good shape, buffing and lotioning them, and would be willing to paint my toenails. My daughters would be kind enough to do it also (as long as it didn't involve shaving cream), but I have gratefully declined. So much of the enjoyment I get from painting my toes is the artistic part, I have been fine with putting off having decorated toes until I can experience the whole shebang. I have painted my fingernails a couple of time, but since I hate the way chipped polish looks and I used my hands for washing dishes instead of my feet (and aren't we all grateful for that) I always go for something subtle (boring!).

3 comments:

Emily said...

I have put those curlers in Gwen's hair. She only woke up with one left...lol!!!!!

Alyssa McVey said...

I'm so happy about your progress! I can only imagine how annoying it would be to sleep on the brace. I can't wait until you're able to do more fancy toes!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Alice did some rainbow fingernails and I thought of you. I know healing can seem too slow, much longer than you want it to take. Sorry about the pain.