Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Stray...


You've heard of stray dogs...


.

.

.

and Stray Cats...


.

.

.

but have you ever heard of a stray CHICKEN?!?!?!?

Yep, we have adopted a stray chicken.

She just showed up in our yard a few months ago and moved in.

It happened at a fortuitous time, since we lost three chickens to what I'm guessing was the bird flu (have you ever heard a chicken hack and cough?) and so it was nice to get an addition to our little flock.

The girls christened her Snapdragon.

Stan says she is a game hen.

Here she is with Daisy and Buttercup, the extent of our poultry :)



5 comments:

Jenny said...

Love the "stray cats" pic! :)

A&J said...

I have a friend who ended up with stray roosters in her yard with her chickens, so I guess you're not alone.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Well, as a matter of fact, I have heard of a stray chicken! We found a stray rooster, and that, my dear, is how we started having chickens again at Figtree Farm. In fact it's such a neat story that I want to write a book about it. He may have been a game cock too. We even put an add in the paper and the guy laughed at me. He said, someone's going to call who wants a chicken dinner! Luckily no one called. We had him forever.

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

She looks quite a bit like our brown leghorns, only with a shorter comb.

AES said...

What a fun story. I don't feel so alone anymore in my stray chicken-ness :)

And, Jenny, you are too young for this, but the Stray Cats always make me think of high school.