Thursday, August 30, 2007

Poetry


Summer's Freshman Honors Literature homework last night was to write a poem about herself. It had to be at least 20 lines. She was stuck not knowing how to start, but my muse was in full force, so I offered to help.

This was my first effort.

I suggested she alter this to her taste and write four more limericks, which would give her her twenty lines.



There once was a in high school,

And she wanted to think she was cool,

So she braided her hair,

And wore, not one, but a pair,

Of brown, fuzzy, loafer-like shoes.



She said, "Mo-o-o-other, that would be embarrassing!"



So,I tried again.



Here was my second effort.



My name is Summer.

I don't drive a Hummer.


I wish my mom would,
To carry her brood.


Yep, there's a lot.

From teen to tot.


I'm the teen,

Cause I'm fourteen.


I have one brother

And he's a bother.


At two and a half

He gets in my stuff.


Sakes alive

Of sisters, I've five.


They're fun and cute.

The baby's a hoot.


I play the cello.

I feel so mellow.


When I read a good book.
Now there's a quick look,


At me, I'm Summer.

I don't drive a Hummer.



For some reason, which is unfathomable to me, she declined my help and wrote her own poem, which she says I am NOT allowed to put on the blog. She knows me too well :)

2 comments:

mc said...

You can put it on my blog. I won't tell

AES said...

What a deliciously devious thought...except she loves your blog and reads it every chance she gets.