Sunday, October 14, 2007

My kids are SO OPPRESSED!!!

Almost every Saturday morning, I get up and make a batch of muffins. I use a recipe that calls for 1-1 1/2 cups fruit or vegetable. I usually use pumpkin or banana, sometimes apple or zucchini.

Okay, flashback to Thursday. I'm at Costco, looking at the spinach, wondering if I should buy some. I pick up a three pound bag of fresh spinach and stare at it for a minute. "No" I think, "we'll never finish this before it goes bad." As I lower it back into the box, I hear a faint ripping sound as the perforated plastic top rips off. I put it in my cart.

So...I've been trying to figure out how to eat this up and muffins came to mind. As I told Stan, "Anything tastes good if you mix enough sugar and oil in with it."

I kept the kids out of the kitchen so that they wouldn't see the blender when it looked like this.

They thought maybe I used the new food coloring I bought at Michael's. I wouldn't tell anyone the truth until after they ate at least half a muffin. Rachel was even more appalled when she found out they were FRESH spinach muffins. She said, horrified, "That is like LETTUCE muffins!"

Stan liked them. I thought they were okay, but a bit bland. Summer was frightened that I would even attempt spinach muffins. Rachel's reaction is noted above. Heather liked them. Gwen didn't. Kelly liked them. Michael liked them. Naomi loved them. I guess they were a semi-success, depending on who you ask, but I think I'll give the spinach a wide berth a Costco from now on!

4 comments:

mc said...

Theo saw the picture of Naomi and said, "ewww." I said, "No Theo, not ewww. That's Naomi." To that responded, "EWWWWWW!!!"

AES said...

I guess Theo is in the Summer-Rachel-Gwen Camp!

42snazoo said...

I love spinach and I can see how spinach muffins could work. But the one thing that keeps running through my head when I look at the pictures is: "Soylent Green is people!"

AES said...

I had to look that up on Wikipedia :)