Sunday, August 16, 2009

Milestone

I sneezed yesterday!

Multiple times!

Without crying!!!

I remember the first time I sneezed after the accident. I was standing in Aunt Raeola's kitchen and had to clutch the counter in fear of collapsing from the pain. I know that sounds extreme, but sneezing behind my broken sternum hurt my injuries more than anything else. Up until yesterday, I could tell you how many time I had sneezed since the accident (exactly four) because each time I wanted to lie down and sob, which I didn't dare indulge in because...I don't know. It wouldn't be dignified? It would spook the kids? Anyway, it hurt.

I developed a method of sticking one hand down the front of my brace and pushing on my sternum for counter pressure (in case of failure) and using the other hand to push up on my nose to try to block the sneeze while thinking very hard about not sneezing...not sneezing...not sneezing...

Luckily it worked most of the time. Then yesterday, in that half asleep half awake state I sometimes like to enjoy for longer on a Saturday than on a weekday morning, I sneezed. Twice. And it only mildly hurt, rather than causing pain more excruciating than a clumsy dentist without Novocaine. Oh, joy! It is so nice to feel some tangible evidence of healing. And it is also nice to be able to sneeze freely again.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

So glad you're making progress and feeling better!

Alyssa McVey said...

I remember after my c-section trying hard not to sneeze, or cough, or laugh (which is hard to do with Mom in the room). Keep up the good healing. Can't wait to see you!

Fine Art by Jennifer said...

Good job, Amy!! It is great to make progress. Physical therapy can hurt, though, so be brave.

Kasaundra said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better! We were sad to hear about the accident but SO happy to hear you're on the mend! Keep going!