Friday, November 04, 2011

Field Trip

Last month, Michael, Naomi and I went on a field trip with our homeschool group. We were happy that some of our friends were there, too. Sierra, Carmella and Catalina were much better at smiling at the camera than my two!

Each kid got a couple of turns tossing apples into the grinder to make apple cider.


There was a potbelly pig wandering around, looking at the ground for good things to eat. All of a sudden, it looked up and it was surrounded by elementary school kids. The pig started backing up SLOWLY, but finally resigned itself to being petted.

The program included being taught about what it was like to homestead in the West. Naomi sat in the front row and raised her hand to answer five or six questions. I was impressed with her bravery :)

Both of the kids favorite part of the trip was the "tin" (aluminum pie plate) smith craft.

I felt like a daredevil holding the nail for Naomi while she hammered away.



We ended the day with some cider and a caramel apple. Delicious!


3 comments:

Christine said...

What a fun field trip! Was is Riley's farm? It reminds me of their farm. We haven't been there in a couple of years but I always love it when we go!

AES said...

It was Riley's farm. I've been to Oak Glen before (My favorite place there is Willowbrook farm) but this was our first time at Riley's. I was impressed. It was an interesting program and everyone was so nice :)

Alyssa McVey said...

What a fun little craft!