Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Summer's Dress, Version One

I am sewing Summer a dress for the Midwinter dance.

I made a trial dress out of fabric we got cheap on clearance to see how it fit and if she was happy with it, before I cut into the good stuff.


Now, I am cutting out the next version, after I altered the pattern per her request as follows - raise the midriff 1 inch, widen the bottom of the skirt, make the sleeves smaller (these ones are too "Napoleon Dynamite") and take the bodice in.

Wish me luck!

Watch for pictures...


7 comments:

Alyssa McVey said...

That is beautiful! I want one! :)

Alyssa McVey said...

If I lose 50 lbs I can fit into the trial dress lol.

AES said...

I really like the pattern - New Look 6864. It had flutter sleeves and I just gathered them, and I lengthened the skirt a bit, but you could make one! It would look cute on you, now, or 50 lbs later...

Are you close enough to Shantel to have a sewing day with her? That sounds like so much fun - I want to be there ;)

Alyssa McVey said...

I'm several hours away from Shantel. I've never tried sewing anything but quilt pieces. It would be fun to start though. Where did you get the pattern?

AES said...

JoAnn's, but I think you could get them at any fabric store, or online. Good luck! If you end up sewing this pattern, call me with any questions, because by then, I will have made it twice :)

Also, remember when you buy patterns to go by the measurement rather than the sizes. I buy a 4 in the stores, but in some patterns I wear an 8 and in others, I wear a 12. So confusing!

Also, the way this pattern is set up, I ended up buying way too much fabric, so call me :)

Alyssa McVey said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll definately give you a call when I have my house acceptably organized and find a place for my sewing machine.

AES said...

Good luck unpacking :)