Saturday, October 01, 2011

Port of Long Beach Tour

We all listened to Conference today and it was so nice. I love listening to all the talks and having a quiet day at home with the family.

This is my last July catch up post, and I considered skipping it, but it was so fun, I wanted to remember. We went on a boat tour of the Port of Long Beach! It was free, but you have to plan ahead a bit to get tickets.


I wanted to go on the tour with Stan and the kids for a few reasons -

1. I love going out on the ocean in a boat :)

2. I have always been fascinated by the huge cranes and mind bogglingly large stacks of train cars I see when we drive by the ports around here.

3. It is nice to do something together as a family.

4. It is always nice to feel the breeze in your hair. (Maybe that is the same as #1!)


It took a little maneuvering by our captain to get out on the tour because there was a water skiing race that day.


There were also LOTS of boats there watching the race...

...including the Coast Guard keeping an eye on everyone :)


Once we got around to the port, there was so much to see. like tugboats...


...enormous anchors...



...and lifeboats on all the big ships.


I wasn't sure what they were at first. Did they all have to have submarines for some reason(don't laugh at me Tim!)? So, I asked one of the crew members and he pointed out that the lifeboats had roofs to keep the sun off anyone stuck on one.

And my favorite thing to see, the big cranes! Number 1 is the box the operator sits in and number 2 is the crane that picks up the containers.


We saw a little wildlife.



There were lots of different flags and languages....

...and piles all over the place.

Salt -


Tires -


Metal sorted for recycling -



It was fascinating to learn some history and see it up close :)

No comments: